02 August 2010

The closest thing to a drunk night in Galway (for me)



Wed, 21st July

I did not want to wake up this morning. I was so tired.....and I made good use of the snooze button for sure.


I had to wear my new shoes to class because my TOMS are currently incapacitated. This means I had to suffer through aggravation to the already existing blisters that I have from them. It wasn't too bad though.


Class was good again today- I was a little spacey because I was so tired. After class I stayed and had a chat with Professor Haines about options for internships, programs, jobs, ect working in the area of international women's issues. She suggested transferring school- which isn't really an option, but Im going to look into being a guest student for a semester at UC Hastings or another school that has more course options in my area of interest.


After my chat, I headed back to the apartment and had lunch. I chilled out for a bit and watched TV with Monica and then headed to do some laundry- it couldn't be put off any longer. (WOO-HOO Last time I have to do laundry here)


When I finished my laundry and headed back to the apartment, I then got ready for my last night out with my roommates. (Tomorrow Ill be working on my final and Kimberly leaves Friday) Its so weird that the end is finally here. [Monica is sick, so she wasn't able to go :( ]


We headed into town early to run some errands. (We had originally planned on doing a tour, but it was raining in that special Irish way- sidewaysish)


On the way to town I ran into the Irish Center for Human Rights to get a fleece, but the office hours were just passed. We then went on to the train/bus station to find out how much tickets were for Colleen and Kimberly’s trips (to the airport and Dublin) We then hit Shop Street to find some gifts/ souvenirs and grab dinner. I was on an epic hunt for a specific item for Holly’s birthday present.


For dinner, we hit Fast Eddies and I had some pretty tasty Stromboli and started the evening of drinking sharing a bottle of wine with the others.


When we had finished eating, most of the shops were closing (everything in Ireland closes super early) We then headed to An Pucan because we heard that there would be Irish dancing and music.


We spent most of the rest of the night there. It was quite an interesting night as well. We met a woman from the states who was traveling. She recently got divorced and sold her house, so she’s on a trip before she figures out where she’s headed next. I thought it was kind of cool to do.-have a little fun after a shit situation (he husband of 17 years had been cheating on her) So with her alimony she decided to tour Ireland.


After a bit of a wait, the Irish Dancers finally hit the floor. I think the protocol was dance one song, have a beer or two, dance another song.... and so on. So- the dancing was sporadic, but it was really cool. I had a great spot too at the bar (even when a few women decided they were going to come and stand right in front of my stool)


Kimberly met some guys from the states, so we spent much of the rest of the night talking with them. The group was from San Jose and told us that one of the guys in the group actually played for the NHL team there (we later found out that it wasn't true, but w/e, we had a good time getting free drinks and talking to a few of the guys)


Towards the end of the evening, me being slightly more open due to my level of intoxication, talked with Colleen about the miscommunication that had been taking place during our time in Galway. It was great that we talked and cleared everything up before the trip ended. Being me, I of course ended up crying... in the bar.... but it was good.


An Pucan was closing, so we agreed to meet up with the guys across the street at Coyote. When we headed over, we did a few laps around the club and were unable to find the guys, so we decided to head out and maybe check out a few places to see if we could find them. On the way out, Colleen tripped on the step and we think she sprained her foot.


Nothing really seemed open, so we hit Supermac’s and I had my first french fry experience there. I must admit- they weren't that great. I was a bit disappointed.


We then grabbed a cab and headed back to the apartment. We filled monica in on our adventures and tried to find Colleen some ice for her foot. We didn't have anything in our apartment, so Colleen ended up calling Carlo. The conversation was way longer than asking for ice, but being slightly drunk, I really didn't care.


After hanging out, I finally went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment