09 July 2010

Castle Hunting :D


Wednesday night Carlo ended up coming over to the apartment to study. His roommates were having a beer pong tournament that you could hear even from my place, so he needed a quieter place to do his massive reading for class. (Note:his prof is nuts and assigns obscene amounts of reading) We just hung out and did work for a few hours, stopping everyone and a while to talk about random things.


At about 1am, my roommates rolled in, two of them wasted. So, while they were getting situated, the noise kept us from really progressing on our work. To my horror, a very drunk Monica explicitly asked Carlo if we hooked up. (She’s determined to make something out of us just hanging out) Meanwhile Im looking at the others feeling completely horrified.- The poor guy came over to get away from the drunk people at his place and ends up getting harassed by my drunk roommates. Thankfully, Colleen eventually got Kimberly and Monica to their rooms and Carlo and I were able to finish our work.


Yesterday class was a bit tough to sit through. I was feeling a bit sick, I didn't get much sleep and the lecture was boring as hell. She spent the entire time talking about evidence, which, while I understand that its relevant, the class is supposed to be about Domestic AND International Responses to Women’s Issues. I think we’re spending too much time talking about DV in state courts. Everyone was complaining on their FB, so I decided to mention it to Prof. McGregor after class in a very non-confrontational way. I basically asked if we’d get more into other issues because thats what Im really interested in. (Later while I was sleeping someone from class came in and gave me crap about it because its her first time teaching and she didn't need students chewing her out. I told her what I said and it got her off my back. I was just a bit pissed because everyone was complaining how boring the class was and how they wanted to email the director of the program. Excuse me for trying to remedy the situation directly with the Prof.)


After class I headed back to the apartment and slept for a few hours because I was still feeling pretty sick.


When I got up I made some roasted potatoes for lunch and surfed the net for a bit.


Carlo called a little after 5 because we had plans to go castle hunting. He had some trouble getting his bus ticket to Northern Ireland for today, so he was a little later than he’d planned.


It was drizzling, but I told him I was cool with walking in the rain, so around 6 we met up and walked north?, in the opposite direction we take to get to town.


The walk was really nice. Everything was really green. We walked through some wooded areas that we followed some trails back into and found old campsites on the river. We also walked past a bunch of sports fields. We then kept walking and eventually found the castle we were looking for on the opposite bank of the river. It looked really cool- covered in ivy, ect.


After we stopped for a bit, we kept walking to see how far we could follow the path before we hit private property. We ended up jumping a fence to keep following the path and found some cows chilling out on the side of a hill on the banks of the river.


We then started heading back, but decided to take a detour to see where one of the roads led. It ended up taking us out past the sports fields and into a residential area. We walked around a bit and checked out some of the houses, and then headed back the way we came because it was shorter than following the paved roads back to Corrib Village.


When we got back, we said goodbye and I headed into my apartment to put on dry clothes. It was only drizzling, so I didn't bother using my umbrella, but after walking for an hour and a half, the top of my hoodie was drenched and my pants were a bit damp as well.


I decided to make myself something to eat and just spend the rest of the evening chilling out.


Carlo ended up stopping over later to use my computer to do some research for his trip.


After he left, I headed to bed because the group is taking a trip to Connemara today. Im super excited to see the abbey and the rest of the region. Its supposed to be beautiful- but then again, everything here is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment