16 July 2010

Day 1 in the Paddywagon




Today I started my tour to Northern Ireland (Im traveling with Paddywagon Tours) I woke up early to wait for my tour to begin. There were a bunch of people packed into reception. Apparently there was a bunch of tours leaving today from Dublin. I sat on the couch and waited patiently as the other impatient people kept bothering the poor guy at the desk.


My tour was supposed to leave at 8, but our guide was caught in traffic and came late. Then he had to get some logistics figured out to make sure everyone was in the proper place and we had everyone that we were supposed to. (There are three tours that were together for the first part of the journey, a 6 day all ireland, my 3 day northern, and a two day) (And for the record, epic clusterfuck...just sayin’)


After everything was sorted and we found everyone that was supposed to, the tour was on its way. Our guide gave us a bit of a tour around Dublin before heading out. It was kind of cool because he took us to Phoenix park, which I’ve never seen. (OMG Reindeer!) So I saw the house of the President and the American Ambassador. He also gave us some bits of history and culture which were quite nice.


Our guide, Eric, is hilarious. His sense of humor may offend some, but its quite Irish (Copious use of the “f” word). I think he’s friggen brilliant really. He’s originally from Dublin and told us a bit about accents as well. Eric provided us commentary randomly throughout our trip.


Today our tour was headed for Derry (or Londonderry).


During our rest stop, I grabbed a bite to eat at BK (breaking my rule of not eating at American fast food stops, but I didn't have a choice- well I could have not eaten) I wasn’t sure what time wed be having lunch, so I ate when I had the chance. During our stop, I started chatting with a woman named Miranda from Holland and another woman named Denise from Australia.


On our way we stopped for a quick photo at a castle and at a monastic site to check out the grave yard and a round tower. (Round towers were used by monks to keep their valuables) In the grave yard were some massive Celtic crosses (I think the guide said some of the largest in existence- one weighs several tons)


During our stop at the monastic site, Eric had everyone in the van/bus introduced themselves. There are about 30 people on the trip together today. Shit ton of Aussies, some Germans, French, Spaniards, ect from the continent. Im pretty much the only American, with the exception of a Chinese couple from Florida (transplants)


Then we headed to Drogheda for lunch. We were given an hour to wander and find food. Drogheda is home to the Catholic Cathedral which has Oliver Plunkett’s head (per usual, interesting story, but I’ve been drinking and Im lazy, so you can google it) After I saw the head, which is less gruesome than it sounds, I wandered down the street in search of a place to eat.


I ended up finding a cafe called The Copper Kettle. I wasn't super hungry because I had eaten at the rest stop, but I had a bowl of vegetable soup with brown bread and a cup of tea. I got a huge bowl of soup for pretty cheap and it was super tasty, so I was stoked.


After I finished my lunch and paid, I had a bit of time left to explore. As I was walking back down the street to head back in the direction I had come, I noticed a brick structure in the other direction. I had time, so I decided to go check it out. I couldn't really tell what exactly it was but my tour guide later told me it was probably part of the old city wall. (At one point, most of the cities were surrounded by walls, most have all been either partially or entirely destroyed. The only full one left standing is in Derry)


After we finished our stop in Drogheda we continued our trek to Derry. While in the bus/van I took a bit of a nap. (No matter when I travel, I seem to always be sleepy when I do) Our drive was straight through to Derry. (we didn't make anymore stops) It took a few hours to get there and on the way, we had an anticlimactic boarder crossing. There are no sort of formal crossings or anything. Much like crossing the state line in the US, you just keep driving and you’re there. There’s free movement across the boarder so you don’t need a passport or anything.


When we finally arrived in Derry (or Londonderry) we were dropped at the tourist office to check it out, run across the street for coffee, ect for about an hour before our walking tour guide would arrive.


I went into the tourist office and had a look around. I asked about where to find the closest ATM because NI is on the pound, so I needed to get some cash for the weekend.


Miranda and I walked across the street to the mall to hit the ATM and grab some coffee. We chatted a bit more while we were there. We then headed back to buy a few things from the tourist office and wait for our tour guide.


Our tour around Derry was really interesting. Unfortunately we didn't go to the statute that I kind of wanted to see and it was difficult to stop and take pictures of some things, but I really enjoyed our tour guide. He’s actually from the catholic part of Derry. At the end of the tour he told us about growing up in the occupied city and various situations with the british soldiers. It was kind of shocking the things that happened during the occupation. (Also, it was really interesting that his view was that it was misclassified as a catholic/protestant conflict and it was more of a loyalist/nationalist conflict having nothing really to do with religion, it was blow out of proportion by politicians and the news media as young people don't really even go to church or consider themselves religious)


I did get to see and take some pictures of the murals in “free” Derry that I wanted to see, so I was happy about that.


After the tour we walked to our hostel and got situated. There was a cookout at 730 so before then I ran to Tesco to grab something to drink while I hung out. (PS Derry is super cheap- partially as a consequence of the troubles, which is sad, but I wasn't complaining about paying 3 pound for a four pack of strongbow)


When I got back, I checked my email for a bit and then headed out back to hang out with the group. Unfortunately, the only option to eat for the cookout was burgers. Usually, this wouldn't be a problem- I would just eat the salad (which was the only side option besides chips) but I had planned on going to the pub, so I wasn't about to drink on a practically empty stomach, so, after 5 years of not eating beef- I had a cheeseburger- which Im sure Ill be sick as hell tomorrow, but whatever.


It was a lot of fun just hanging out with the group and talking. Unfortunately, we were outside and the Irish weather decided to grace us with its presence. There was a tarp over the grilling and garden area, but the shed roof started to leak after a while and the tarp, well, does what tarps do after its been raining for a while.


Feeling kind of tired, and mindful of the early morning, I decided to skip out on the trip to the pub to listen to music. (the music wasn't starting until 11) Plus, I wasn't really in the mood to be walking in the rain, especially because I already have blisters on the back of my feet from my new shoes.


I headed upstairs to my room, grabbed a shower and surfed the net a bit before bed. My room wasn't the most spacious place for 6 people, but it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment