06 July 2010

Saving my TOMS, a trip to the courthouse and cheesecake makin'

I was feeling super tired this morning. I hit the snooze button on my mobile (which I’ve been using as my alarm clock) like 5 times. Luckily going to the gym in the afternoon means I take a shower in the evening and thus don't need to get up as early to get ready. (Im usually a morning shower person, but I can get used to this extra snooze time)


Today was chilly and rainy. However, out of all the days I decide to wear shorts and a T-shirt to class, today was it..... so- chilly and moist walk to class. During my walk I discovered that I have torn a hole in the back of my beloved TOMS. Luckily, its on the seem so I was able to sew it.


Class has been pretty interesting for the most part. Today we discussed why DV statutes are there (as opposed to prosecuting DV under assault statutes ect) and the various elements that are present in different states DV statutes.


After class I hit the gym. -I had a lot of energy when I got back to the apartment, but a little while later I sort of crashed :/


At 4, we had an optional “field trip” to the court house in town. Prior to walking to the court house, myself and another girl from class ended up talking with a PHD candidate who is at the Irish Center for Human Rights studying genocide. His work sounded really interesting. In the process of his work, he’s interviewed perpetrators and victims of various genocides. Basically, what I understood, he is looking at the reasons why genocides take place.


At the court house, Professor Murphy (who was one of my profs for IHL) talked about the Irish legal system and showed us his old wig and gown. It was really interesting. He even told us the origin of the phrase “big wig” - basically, the more prestigious legal positions wore bigger wigs traditionally. (I found this interesting/amusing)


After we finished I headed to town to hit the market to buy stuff to make cheesecake. While we were playing spoons last night I told Wanda that Id make her a Baileys Cheesecake at some point, and today I happened to be in the mood to bake.


After I finished at Dunnes, I went to the bus station to see if I could get my ticket for this weekend, but they were closed. Ill have to head to town again tomorrow to get it.


On my walk back to the apartment, I ran into James. :/ He stopped and talked to me for a few minutes. He mentioned that he was doing a radio show on Thursday and asked me if I wanted to be a part of it. I told him if I had time to see one of the films from the film festival before then, I would.


After I got back to the apartment, I started making my Baileys Cheesecake. I don't have a spring-form pan, so Im making it in a deep dish pie pan- we’ll see how this turns out.


While Im waiting for the cheesecake to finish, Im working on class reading and figuring out other-things to fill my free time with.

No comments:

Post a Comment