15 July 2010

Certified Irish Whiskey Taster




Today when I woke up, I packed my clothes in my bag before heading off to class.


This was out last day with Justice McGregor as our professor. Her lecture today was actually pretty interesting. She talked about various approaches to combating the issue of domestic violence.


While on break, I actually started chatting with the woman who is going to be our prof for the remainder of the session while I was in line grabbing a latte. She wrote a few of the articles we are reading for class next week so I asked if her specality was international women’s issues. Turns out, her focus is on women asylum seekers specifically. (Friggen perfect!) I told her that I was interesting in working with international women’s issues, specifically asylum seekers fleeing gender based violence. Apparently she overheard some of the questions that I asked the guest speaker the other day, so we talked about that a bit. (I guess they were good questions) She told me that she would be willing to meet with me next week to discuss different orgs. I might be able to work for, ect. Im super excited. :D


After class I walked to town, grabbed a sandwich and then headed towards the bus station. I popped into the tourist center to get a map of dublin and ask about Galway city tours, because I want to take one before I leave. Then I hit the station and got on my 3 1/4 hour bus ride to Dublin. On the way I had a bit of a nap, finished reading one of my articles for class next week and watched some of the scenery out the window.


When I arrived in Dublin, I headed towards the LAUS Red line and took the train west to hit the Harley Davidson shop. For those of you who dont know- every foreign city I visit that has a harley shop that I can reasonably get to, I hit to get a shirt and various other things for my Dad. After a 20 or so minute ride in the packed train car, I finally arrived at my stop. Luckily, I had been looking out the window and spotted one of the landmarks listed on the directions to the shop, or I would have walked in the other direction. About a ten minute walk in the rain and epic wind, I finally found the shop. I popped in and grabbed the things on my list.


I started walking back to the train, and realized half way that I had forgotten to ask for a VAT reciept. For a few steps I debated if I wanted to go back or not (I was trying to hurry back into town so I could catch a Jameson tour before they closed) I decided that I should head back and get the receipt. A short while later, I was on my way.


I jumped on a train, which was thankfully empty and I was able to have a seat. I made my way back to the city and had a short walk from the train stop to the Old Jameson Distillery just in time to catch the last tour at 530. I had a few minutes in the gift shop and I had a serious debate with myself about buying a bottle of one of their special whiskies. I was good, and didn't, but I did pick up a gift pack to split for my brothers.


The tour was pretty cool. We learned the story of John Jameson and how the whiskey is made as well as some other bits of history. When the tour started, the guide asked for volunteers for a tasting. I volunteered because nobody was really jumping at the chance. I got a cardboard tube and was told to hang onto it. At the end of the tour everyone got a free glass of Jameson and all the volunteers were sat don at a table with a bunch of place settings. The tasting was- we tried Jameson, Johnny Walker and Jack Daniels to see the difference between the different types of whiskey. It was actually kind of cool. When we finished we got a certificate making us certified tasters. (This is what the cardboard tube was for- to roll up the certificate and put it in it)


When I finished at the Jameson Distillery I headed for my hostel so I could check in and ditch my epically packed backpack along with the other two bags I had accumulated. Checking in was a bit of an interesting situation. After I had gotten my key, I went to the room I had been assigned and all of the beds were taken, looked like the had been slept in or had stuff on them. I went back to reception and explained the dilemma and the desk guy was a little annoyed (not with me, but the other people in the room) and assigned me a new room. It ended up working out for me, because the new room actually looks nicer and has more space. Plus its not completely booked, so fewer people will be in and out throughout the night.


After I dropped off my bags, I headed out in search of lotion for my tattoo, a towel because one wasn't included with my room (and I wasn't going to pay to rent one, if Im going to need one all weekend, its cheaper to buy one and ditch it sunday) and dinner. As I walked towards center city I found a 2 euro store and bought a towel there. Then I just started wandering a bit. As I was looking for a boots, I saw a clarks store with a huge sale sign in the window- up to 70% off. I’ve been really good to this point about not purchasing shoes, but I gave in a bought a pair of sporty flats. (I LOVE european shoes, they are super cute and super comfy) I partially justified it with the fact that my TOMS have nearly met their end, and with my new tattoo I cant wear my strappy sandals. (I only brought 3 pairs of shoes here and I’m not a fan of wearing my tennis shoes) I was really good in that I saw some really cute business shoes super cheap as well, but I resisted buying them. - It wouldn't have been a good idea anyway seeing as I have a three day tour ahead of me and I don't need the extra baggage.


I left Clarks and went in search of Boots. I happened to remember where one was from my last trip to Dublin, so I located it and got the lotion that I needed. Because I bought shoes, I decided I would have a cheap dinner. I was going to hit a pub and have a decent meal and a drink, but I hit Supermacs in the interest of eating cheaply. (Supermacs is a fast food chain) I ended up getting a really good chicken sub from a separate counter inside the same building, it was fairly large and came with a drink for only €4. Score. It was pretty tasty too. I ate on the second floor on one of the windo stools and watched the people outside walking by as I ate. When I finished I headed back to my hostel to call it a night. There wasnt much I wanted to do in Dublin, plus I wanted to rest up because I have a big weekend ahead of me.


When I got back, I locked myself out of my room when I was headed to take a shower. The guy at reception was really cool about it and gave me a new key and once I got in I returned the old one.


Im not just chilling out in my room. I rearranged all of my bags to downsize for the trip, so now Im set and everything is compact. I got the pass code for the internet but I cant seem to get it to work, so I cant upload or post anything this evening. I do have my assignment page already open so I may do some reading before conking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment