17 July 2010

Irish Coffee, loads of Irish Weather, bridge crossing and a jog along the Causeway




This morning I packed up my stuff and waited downstairs in the hostel for a bit for the tour to start. I surfed the net, posted yesterdays blog and finished uploading the pictures that I had taken.


At about 830 we all piled onto the bus and were off (with the exception of having to run back to the B&B and hostel for forgotten things, but after That we were off) Our first stop this morning was a quick photo stop to take a picture of Dunluce Castle. Apparently its the most photographed castle in Ireland. It was windy and rainy so I just jumped off the bus for a few quick shots and then I was back in my seat.


Next we headed towards Carrick-A-Rede and Larrybane. On the way there Eric pointed out “Irelands Mt. Rushmore” There is one spot in the side of the cliffs that looks like a face- it was actually pretty cool. From there we stopped for pictures to try to kill some time before heading to the rope-bridge. (Eric was waiting for some of the rain to blow over a bit so we wouldn't be walking out to the bridge in the rain)


The rain finally stopped and we headed to the parking lot by the bridge. I bought a ticket to cross the bridge and then started my 1km walk out to it. (You don't have to buy a ticket to walk out to it, but you have to have one to cross the bridge onto the little island. Its a bit steep at £5, but I got one for the hell of it, Im here so I might as well cross the damn bridge) The walk out to the bridge is very scenic along the cliffs. However, I kind of though it might be a flat walk, but I was sorely mistaken. It ended up being quite the hike with inclines and rock steps both up and down. It also started raining again when I reached the bridge.


I gave the guy my ticket and began to cross. Despite the height (and the hype) the bridge isn't too bad. Its super safe and the view is actually pretty cool. I did have a bit of a jolt because I was only using one hand to hold on so I could take some pictures as I crossed, but when I reached the middle the wind started blowing a bit and the bridge swayed a little more than I had anticipated. Its a short bridge though, so I made it to the other side without issue.


Once on the other side, I made my way over a rocky path and kind of checked out the view from the little island. It was amazing. Had I had the time I could have taken a seat and just enjoyed the atmosphere for a bit. When I looked down into the water there was a dolphin or shark with its baby swimming around. The water was crystal clear. Despite the rain, it was quite enjoyable.


I then started making my way back to the bus. When I was crossing the bridge in the other direction I met two girls from Norway when I asked them to take a picture of me. We chatted on the walk back, which was kind of cool.


After we all loaded back onto the bus, Eric took us to a little gift shop to kill some more time. I was hoping it’d be a little more original than it was but I was pretty disappointed with the generic tourist stuff.


After that we headed to a pub in town for lunch. I FINALLY had an Irish Coffee. Though I must say, it would have been a lot more enjoyable if the coffee they had used wasn't so bad. It was super strong and super bitter in a bad way. Ill have to have a redo when I get back to Galway. I had chicken strips for lunch which were quite tasty.


I sat with Denise, Melinda and another Aussie (who I keep talking to but for the life of me I cant remember her name). During lunch we talked about a bunch of different things. It was a good time.


After our time for lunch finished we then headed towards Giant’s Causeway. The Causeway is one of two world heritage sites in Ireland (the other being the Cliffs of Moher). We were only given an hour and a half to walk around, so I had a pretty quick hike to see the entire trail. I went past the rocks of the causeway itself and saw other things along the path. Much like the path to the rope bridge, it wasn't a flat hike whatsoever. I can officially say that one need not get a gym membership, all they have to do is tour Ireland. My calves were killing me from hiking up and down steep hills and then 162 really steep rock steps.


Although Carlo told me that the Causeway was anti climatic, I found the entire site beautiful. I could have done with fewer tourists, but I enjoyed the views and the hike despite being pressed for time and having to exert more energy than a usual leisurely walk. I really wished I had a lot more time to really enjoy the site and maybe have a set on the rocks and soak up the atmosphere.


Following my quick jog around the coast line path at Giant Causeway, I got back on the bus and we headed for Belfast. On the way Eric gave us a bit more history of the troubles and the City of Belfast. When we arrived, we checked into out hostel. THe 6 dayers then went on to do their black taxi tour and I was free fro the rest of the evening. Ill be taking my tour in the morning. After I checked my email, ect, I decided to explore the city for a bit. I went for a walk for a few hours. On the way I saw City Hall (Which is amazing), I went over to the river, and walked by the court house. Belfast is a beautiful city- the architecture of some of the buildings is amazing. I really enjoyed just having a wander around. (I wish I had more time to just roam the streets. Hopefully during my two tours tomorrow Ill see a lot more) I then swung by the Crown Bar which apparently is a tourist destination. It was pretty full so I decided not to have dinner there. I then walked back towards the hostel and stopped in at the Globe Bar which Eric said had cheap food. Unfortunately, they stop serving food at 6, so I had a pint of Harp (which is made in Belfast) and went on my way. I stopped into a takeaway place and got a kebab to take back to the hostel with me. The kebab wasn't that great, (pretty bad actually) but after a pint it was much needed sustenance.


Im spending the rest of the evening just chilling out in the hostel. Im currently attempting to upload my pics with the connection downstairs. Later Ill probably have a shower and work on my reading for monday’s class.

No comments:

Post a Comment