15 June 2010

Another LONG day/ LATE night.....


I was successful at waking up at 7 and hitting the gym this morning. I was super tired when I first got up, but by the time I walked to the gym I was wide awake. It was really exciting to have access to a pool to swim some laps :D


Unfortunaly, I got really drowsy during my first class. (I didnt have any tea this morning, I only had OJ with my breakfast after the gym- which defiantly didn't help the situation) Thankfully theres a cafe right next to our class room so I grabed a cup of coffee before my second class.


IHL was really interesting again today. Im really enjoying the topic- however- im currently in the midst of reading for class tomorrow, and I think my night is going to be one where Im super pissed off. Im in the middle of a chapter talking about UN peacekeeping and situations of abuse amongst the peacekeepers. For example, the author (who is my prof) is discussing the rape and sexual exploitation of women and girls- esp. that of underage girls in the congo during the conflict there in the 90’s and how its difficult to get a full grasp of what happened because some of the girls were really young and others were so traumatized by their experiences, they couldn't testify. Further- the issue that there is no way for the UN to directly discipline the peacekeepers-To me, the peacekeepers were not much better than the soldiers who brought htem there in the first place. All around- the rape and sheer brutaltiy these women faced at the hands of both soldiers and peacekeepers is infuriating (esp. because I know of the issues many of these women are still dealing with years later)


Ethics was a little better today. Although- It was kind of awkward that the prof kept bringing up Monica dropping the class. (Monica is from Canada so US ethics really are pointless for her to learn- despite being Int’l law, we talking about ABA Code ethics a lot) I tried to talk a lot to keep myself from falling asleep/ as well as keep myself engaged in the class. Hopefully it continues to get better. Im trying to make the most of it. We’ll see though. :/


After class I grabbed a quick lunch and then my flatmates and I walked into town. Whle we were on Shop Street we saw this guy in costume with a dog (a person in costume as well). Its hard to explain- just see the picture above..... We have no idea what he was doing- He wasn't giving adverts out or anything and was basically just waking down the street and would periodically stop at the dog “jumped” on people. While in town we hit a few shops to get postcards and some other stuff then we grabbed groceries and hit the shuttle back.


When we got back I made dinner, chicken and roasted root veg (sweet potato, fingerling potatoes, beets, and zucchini {which I wanted to use before it went bad}) Dinner took awhile, but it ended up pretty good. We had lots of leftover veg, so lunch is done for tomorrow :D


While I was cooking, I randomly found a slug crawling across the floor in the kitchen. (I got a piece of notebook paper and set it free outside) We’ve decided that random creatures are going to keep infiltrating the flat. There was a spider in the fridge the other day and I had snails in the lettuce when I washed it on Sunday. I told Colleen, we should get a pet spider- we’d let it make a web in the corner and we’d call it Boris.


During dinner we talked about/ pretty much decided to take two tours this weekend. Theres a special deal that if you take the two combined in one day you get a discount. In the morning on saturday we’ll be taking a tour of Galway City and in the afternoon we are taking a Clonmacnoise & Athlone Tour.


After dinner I started work on my reading for tomorrow. Right now Im just taking a break because I was feeling a little aggravated. I have LOTS of reading to do again tonight. I don't think Ill be hitting the gym tomorrow morning. After being up past 130 last night, I think Ill be having another really late night and I would rather not be falling asleep in class tomorrow. I get that Im here for class, but this obscene amount of reading is ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment