20 June 2010

Shopping turned into a night of pub hopping....then we went to a Gay Bar....

My day yesterday was so so. I spent most of it doing reading for class while my flat mates slept in. I didn't finish the reading that I need to get done (Im trying to get ahead so my week isnt as stressful) I did get all my post cards written, I just have to hit a post office at some point and buy stamps.


I had originally planned on grocery shopping yesterday as we had our meals planned for the next week. Then when everyone got up they weren't feeling like shopping so I thought Id go today, and then they decided they want to rework it so we have some nights where we do our own thing. Its a bit frustrating when your trying to plan stuff out in advance, but I guess Ill go grocery shopping for myself and when they decide what they want to do we can go from there.


We headed out around 5 and took the shuttle into town. I thought we’d just be walking around a bit, but it turned into an entire night out. Mind you- I was just rocking jeans and a t-shirt because I didn't think we’d be pub hopping, so I felt a little underprepared for the evening.


We started out walking around shop street and then we decided to find a place to have dinner. As we walked along the streets it seemed like all the pubs were packed with people or they didn’t serve food. We ended up walking back across the Corrib River and found The Crane, which we had wanted to check out on pub night, but it was too far. They didn’t serve food so we went a few doors down and had dinner and a few drinks. (Kimberly and I were amazed to find a coin operated straightener in the bathroom- genius!)


After we headed back to the Crane to just chill out and have more drinks. When we got there there was a group of guys that we ended up sitting with who were on a “Fantasy Football Pub Crawl” contest sort of thing. There was a score card and everything. They had a list of pubs that they were supposed to hit one every 30 mins and accumulate points by doing different tasks/drinking. A few of the guys were quite tanked, but we ended up mostly talking to a guy named John who wasn't so intoxicated (I wagered that he was losing the game) One of the really drunk ones started singing? I taped a bit of it. He was actually quite good for how toasted he was. Then the bartender asked the group to be quiet (they were actually really loud) At one point, really drunk singing guy started waxing poetic to Colleen telling her she was a “beautiful creature that came from the lagoon.”


A bit before 8 they had to head to the next place for “prizes” The Crane was the last stop before the end of their pub crawl. John invited us to go with them to the Spanish Arch and hang out. We told him we’d go if he waited with us to finish our drinks. He said he would, but later disappeared with the group. We ended up having a few more drinks before heading out to find another place to have drinks. (We didn't end up going to the Spanish Arch)


We walked back the way we had come in search of a place where we could actually “fit” it. Many of the places were packed and you couldn't even move. We walked in and right back out of a few places. Then we ended up going back down shop street and happened to see that Dignity West was open. (We saw a sign for a gay club a few days ago and were excited that they have a drag show and bingo on different nights of the week) We ended up going inside. It was completely empty when we got there. We ended up talking to the bar tender for a while who told us the show might start at 11 if it was busy enough, but it depends on the crowd.


We ended up spending the rest of our evening there, drinking and dancing. FINALLY sometime after 12 the drag show actually started. It was really funny because she had a “contest” for a few people who she dragged from the audience (no one really could volunteer, she just picked you) Well- she ended up pulling Colleen up on stage for the “Tyra Banks Modeling Contest” The Contestants had to walk down the stage, swing around the pole, walk past one of the tables and then back to the stage. The other two on stage were another girl and a guy. The guy did really well swinging around the pole, but the middle girl looked like she put no effort into it. Colleen and the guy ended up tying- so she won a bottle of champaign. We stayed at the club long enough to finish the bottle and then we headed out.


As we were walking towards Eyre Square to find a taxi I noticed Carlo (one of the giuys in our program) sitting in McDonalds reading for class. I mentioned it to the others and we went back to say hi. We ended up sitting down and talking with the poor guy. We had a good conversation, but I felt bad that we were keeping him from his reading. A little after 2am the girls decided they were tired and wanted to head home. I told Carlo we’d finish our conversation later and that I was sorry we interrupted his studying.


We then walked the rest of the way down shop street and found a taxi. Monica and Kimberly got really loud halfway through the ride, It was mildly amusing because they were just laughing and I couldn't really even understand what they were talking about.

When we got to the flat Colleen and I apologized to the driver as we got out of the taxi. (He seemed a bit amused though- Colleen had been talking to him on the drive back about working on the weekends and dealing with rowdy people) As he was pulling away, Kimberly couldn't find her phone so we flagged him down and looked for it, but we didn't see it. I tried calling it a few times but we couldn't hear it. I told her we’d go inside and call McDonalds because it may be where we were talking to Carlo. However, when we got inside she found it in her purse- it was on silent so she couldn't hear it ring when I called. Being really late, I went straight to bed.


Today Im going to try to get my laundry and ethics reading done. Ill head into town later to get some groceries. If have time Ill hit the gym, if not, Ill go in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment