14 June 2010

Class- right, the reason why Im here


Today was my first day of classes. I got up early to finish my reading for class and then Monica and I walked to campus together because we have Humanitarian Law together.


I was unsure how the class might turn out, but after the first day- IHL is an AWESOME class. I found it really interesting. Depending on the prof, the topic can be vaguely boring, but no worries here. I was kind of excited that I could actually offer input in class on something. (He asked about a recent conflict that received little coverage- I mentioned Sri Lanka and happened to be right. :D On break I also spoke with him about the characterization of the conflict and human rights abuses alleged to have taken place in the final months of the conflict)


My second class was quite a bit drier. The topic is ethics in human rights practice. First of all, the prof has assigned a shit ton of reading. And I mean a shit ton- I JUST finished at 1230am the reading for tomorrow and I ended up skimming bits. (The code of ethics and comments in 2 days?!?! AND european code of ethics AND two articles- the woman's nuts) Some of are a little confused on the direction she is taking the class in as well. I guess we’ll see how it ends up- it was only the first day after all.


After class I spoke to my ethics prof about the paper we’re supposed to write. (My flat mates and I are fairly clueless about her expectations on this as well) I talked to her about the topic Im interested in (asylum law) and got a few ideas for what I could attempt to tackle in the 15 pager.


After class, the four of us walked to the fitness center and registered for a six week membership. We walked around and checked it out and then headed back to our apartment.


When we got back, I ate a late (4pm) lunch and started prepping stuff for dinner.- I spent some time working on reading for class and also researched some more stuff to do while Im here. I decided to book a trip to Northern Ireland on my free 3 day weekend in July. Im really excited because I wasn't sure Id be able to squeeze it in, but now Ill get to see the Giants Causeway and have a quick visit to Belfast. The four of us also discussed the possibility of some other trips/ tours. We are planning on going to a Scary Galway tour (we were amused by its hokeyness) and a trip to Ireland's Oldest Pub. We're also trying to figure out a trip to Cork and Dingle.


For dinner I made spaghetti, salad and garlic bread (with fresh roasted garlic). It ended up being pretty good and we had some left overs that Im going to try to figure out how to use. Im really enjoying doing the communal dinner with my flat mates. (in the pic above) Its more chill and laid back than having to go out for food and a lot cheaper also. :D


Because the daylight is significantly longer here, my perception of time is completely off. We had dinner at about 8pm but it felt more like 5. At 10pm its still dusk and finally gets dark around 11. Its taking some getting used to.


RAWR- its now after 1am so me thinks its time for bed. Attempting to get up at 7 and go to the gym- we'll see how that works out :P


No comments:

Post a Comment