25 June 2010

Research and a story I hope will one day be funny, when the anger wears off

Yesterday I got up early and hit the gym.


Class again, much of the same, no use boring everyone with the details.


After class I had lunch and worked for a few hours on my research for my ethics paper.

-This I must say, is an impossible and frustrating task, because it seems there hasn't been anything written on my topic. ::Bangs head against desk::


My research is pursuing the question “How does a lawyer resolve the ethical conflict of following/upholding US (immigration) laws [which are contrary in some ways to US obligations under international treaties] and protecting clients who are subject to deportation and are facing certain death or persecution upon return to their home country?”


After a lot of digging and creative thought, I think I have a direction to take my paper in without having to find other peoples opinions on the matter.


Last night I went out with my flatmates and another student from the program. ::Mind you that I wasn't in the best mood, but Im trying to be a “normal” college student type and go out::


We were supposed to go out around 8, but the other four ended up drinking several bottles of wine and talking in the common room. I finally called a taxi to come pick us up around 9:45pm. The others were quite toasted at this point and were having not the most publicly appropriate conversation, so I apologized to the driver. For this I got yelled at by the others.


We then headed around for a bit, popping into several pubs in search of the group of girls we were supposed to meet up with. (two hours earlier mind you) We didnt find them, so we ended up heading in the direction of Monroe’s sort of on the other side of town.


On the way there we stopped at a hotel bar so a few of the girls could use the toilet. While there we had shots. We then hit the road.


Around the corner from Monroe’s we found a Beer Haus that apparently has the biggest selection of beers in the city. We went in. We never ended up making it to Monroe’s. As we were ordering at the bar, one of the women I was with started talking with an older man who turned out to be from Zimbabwe. The rest of us grabbed a table an had some interesting discussions (to have in a bar). Monica at some point got kissed by the Zimbabwe guy and was completely disgusted when she returned to the table. Meanwhile, Wanda kept talking to him at the bar.


At some point we all ended up standing by the bar, talking to a bartender who was on break from Monroe’s (at this point we were still planning on making an appearance there)


Without going into a lot of detail, the rest of the evening turned into a friggen shit show. Somehow I ended up talking with the guy from Zimbabwe about the American education system and who the hell nows what else. Sometime during this point all the others disappear. When the bartender did last call I look around and realized they had ditched me. I started to freak out inside. After I finished my beer, I told Zimbabwe that I was going to head to Monroe’s to look for the others. He decides he’s going to walk with me which is great because I was trying to ditch him in case I couldn't find the others and had to walk home.


When we got to Monroe’s (which is right down the street) the doors were closed. In my head Im thinking to myself Im screwed and Im really pissed. I had no clue how I was going to find them. Note: one of my biggest pet peeves about people when they drink is their irresponsibility. That why I never get trashed, because I want to have my shit together.Then I happened to recognize Monica’s shirt down the street. The rest of the group was together. We said goodbye to Zimbabwe and hailed a taxi back to the apartment.


When we got back to the apartment I paid the driver, again apologized for the groups behavior and headed inside straight to my room. They are all quite drunk so you can imagine the shit show that ensued. I briefly mentioned the fact that they left me at the bar but I wasn't going to get into it with them while they were drunk.


I was really upset and thankfully Lakmini was online so I had someone to talk to while I calmed down. ::I don't usually cry much, but I was balling my eyes out in my room::


I surfed the net for a bit and then headed to bed because we were heading on a trip this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment