25 June 2010

Cliffs of Moher and the Burren: a continuation of the TOMS shoe saga


This morning my flatmates apologized for leaving me at the bar. (It doesn't exactly make up for it in my book, but Im moving on)


We headed over to reception around 9:30 this morning to wait for our bus. The program took a tour to the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher.


At about ten our bus headed out of Galway and towards the Burren. (The Burren is an area more that a specific point) The entire bus ride was very scenic and quite enjoyable. (Have I mentioned how friggen beautiful this country is? if not- Its friggen beautiful and so rich with history)


On our way to the place where we were going to take a “tour” of the Burren, we passed Dunguaire Castle. The bus didn't stop- but I was able to get some pictures of it when we passed it on the way home.


We had our Burren excursion with “Burren Wild Tours.” The tour was founded by our guide John whose family owns the land (and two friggen mountains) that we had our adventure on. He apparently has a degree in Irish history and one in archeology (the director of our program told us this)


We walked through the field behind the family’s houses and up one of the mountain trails. Mind you, the Burren is rocky. (Really, theres noting but rocks) So the path wasn't exactly the smoothest one. And I, having not been told the extent of our walking adventure, was rocking my TOMS. (Had I been told we be climbing a friggen mountain I would have opted for the trainers) My TOMS served me well though- I got up and down the mountain in one piece, thank God. (I think by the end of this trip I will have killed them, which makes me really sad)


The tour was really interesting. John pointed out different aspects of the landscape, told us about the history and customs of the area and had us lay down on some grass toward the top and just appreciate nature. Despite the surprise of more physical activity than I had planned, I really enjoyed it. (and on my way up, out of breath as I navigated the rocky and steep terrain I silently thanked God I didn't actually go to the gym as I had planned this morning- My throbbing calves would not have survived)


When we returned, John invited us to purchase an Irish Coffee or a pint and some of his mom’s homemade apple tart (aka in US speak- pie)


When we were finished, we loaded back onto the bus and headed for Dolan, where we had lunch.


After lunch we then headed for the Cliffs of Moher. When we reached the Cliffs, we had about an hour to walk the two paths and check it out. They were really beautiful, but you couldn't actually go up to the edge. (The statists are 2 people die falling from the cliffs each year) (They are a little more strict that the Aran Islands were about the cliff there- where I literally laid over the edge.) At the Cliffs, I walked both paths so I could see as much of the Cliff coast as possible. They have a viewing tower at one end of the path called O’ Brian’s tower, which you can pay to go in to see a better view. I didn't go up. (I refused to pay two euro to go up, plus it was at capacity and I wasn't going to wait around because time was limited)


After the Cliffs we headed for Poulnabrone “Portal Tomb”. Its a Neolithic burial site. We were there a short time and then we headed for home.


We were originally supposed to take a tour of some caves, but we ran out of time :/


Tonight Im relaxing. Im getting up bright and early to head out for a solo adventure to Cork this weekend! Imma be getting me the gift of gab by puckering up for the Blarney Stone! (which we found out from John, the story originated from the fact that all traditions were passed down orally before Latin and Christianity [along with the practice of recording stuff] was introduced to the island)

No comments:

Post a Comment