27 June 2010

Further Legal Lessons from my pal Murphy


This morning I woke up early again and checked out of my hostel in Cork. I took the first train from Cork City to Cobh to check out the city and the Heritage Center. When I arrived I had about an hour before the center would open so I wandered around the city and took some pictures. I ended up climbing up a really steep hill to check out the church. (After the last few days of non-stop walking up inclines, my body officially hates me, also, I somehow got a blister on the bottom of my baby toe?)

The city itself is really beautiful though. Its right on the water and my morning trek was to the soundtrack of waves and seagulls. (Note: Cobh was the Titanic’s last stop before it sailed, also, it was the home of the first irish immigrant to go through Ellis Island)


At 930, I headed back to the Heritage Center only to find that the advert I had LIED and the center didnt open until 11.. FML.... I planned on taking the next train from Cobh at 1130 so I could see Midleton and tour the Jameson Distillery there. So I sat in the train station for an hour and a half and read my book, then at 11 I popped in the center for about 15 minutes to check it out. I didn't pay to go in the museum bit because I didn't have time.


I took the train from Cobh to Glounthaune where I was supposed to catch a connecting train to Midleton.... note SUPPOSED to..... I waited on the platform for a bit. (there were no signs or anything anywhere) About the time my train was supposed to come, I got on the train that came through the station. As soon as it pulled away I knew I got the wrong train. FML... it headed back south east in the direction of Cobh, rather than north east towards Midleton.


Luckily, at 1230 the train from Cobh was headed back to Cork so I didn't have to sit in the station again. When I got back to Cork, I looked at the kiosk to see when the next train to Midleton was, if I could swing it, I would still try to get out there. But the next train didn't leave until after 2pm and the last bus back to Galway was at 6 so, after my mishaps this weekend, I wasn't going to take the chance of getting stuck in Cork tonight. (When it comes to Murphy’s Law, Im the rule, not the exception) Plus, I was exhausted and I wasn't sure how much more my legs could take. As well as my back with all the bags I was lugging around. Further, Im going to try to hit the Jameson Distillery in Dublin next month, so Im sure I wont be missing much.


Exhausted, rather than wandering around Cork more, I decided that I was going to catch the 2pm bus back to Galway and spend the evening vegging and doing homework.


Having an hour to kill, I found a diner that is apparently known for their fish and chips and had a proper meal- having not eaten anything all day, and scarcely all weekend, the huge platter very well made up for it. (Apparently Cork is known for it fresh fish) It was super tasty and now I can check off eating fish and chips off my list of things to do while I’m here.


Once on my bus, I tried to sleep a bit. The bed in my hostel wasn't the bed one I’ve ever slept, plus I was super tired from all the walking I’ve done the past few days. (I daresay I’ve earned myself a break from the gym tomorrow to recover)


I got back to Galway just in time to catch the 530 shuttle back to Corrib Village. (On the drive it started raining, making my choice to come back early that much more of a good decision)


My flatmates just went out, so I’m going to spend a quiet evening studying and just chilling out.

No comments:

Post a Comment